2015 Merf Chardonnay, Columbia Valley

2015 Merf Chardonnay, Columbia Valley
Price: $8.99

MERF stands for something, actually someone: David "Merf" Merfeld. Merf began his career as a brewer, making his way from an Iowa farm to the Pacific Northwest during the original craft beer boom of the 1990s. Since then, he has extended his passion for fermentation from brewing to winemaking, and has earned a reputation as an acclaimed Washington winemaker. 2015 was the warmest growing season in Washington State history, resulting in well ripened grapes that produced loads of fruit flavors. For fermentation, a specific type of yeast was chosen to accentuate these flavors of tropical fruits and ripe apples. 75% of the wine was then aged for 9 months in oak barrels to add richness and buttery qualities, while the other 25% was left in stainless steel to preserve the crisp fruit flavors. What is left is a 100% easy drinking Chardonnay.